Recently, I was reviewing a depreciation report for a client and I found a glaring error. The depreciation report stated that the water supply piping was copper and had a 50 year life expectancy. However, during the inspection I noted that the supply piping was NOT copper but polybutylene pipe. This was an important detail and I provided all the information to my clients about polybutylene pipe. I always inform my clients about the history, condition, life expectancy and potential concerns with building components. It’s very important that inspectors explain all the of the details as omissions like this could lead to a lawsuit. Home Inspectors will always find concerns like plumbing leaks, rodents and damage but taking the time to provide ALL of the information about the home must be a priority. Also spending the time to fully inspect the home while on site and NOT producing “instant” reports will give clients far more information. My advice don’t get caught up with inexpensive home inspectors most likely they are more interested in getting to the NEXT inspection than providing the best possible service. Lastly, to quote a highly respected colleague “A home inspection is not a race”
Just because your home is new, has occupancy, and passed city code inspections, do you think that it is safe to live in? For many, the common-sense answer would be yes. But, here’s a great example of why you should have your home inspected. I came across this safety issue in a townhouse that was only 5 years old.
It’s amazing how many times I have come across fresh air intake problems. Fresh air intake issues can lead to producing dangerous carbon monoxide, as well as poor efficiency and damage to gas burning appliances. This concern is particularly alarming, as I am fairly certain that every furnace room in the townhouse complex may be installed the same way.
The concern here is that the contractor installed the wrong type of vent cover – one that has a flapper which doesn’t allow fresh air to enter the furnace room. This is a significant safety concern – but it can be easily fixed by removing the flapper or changing the vent cover. My client was notified of this concern. It was recommended to contact the strata to have this issue potentially resolved throughout the townhouse complex.