While inspecting a home I never look past even the smallest details as this could be a potential concern for my clients. My only goal is to provide my clients with all the information needed to make an informed decision on the potential purchase. This particular inspection reminded me that everyone is different and my approach to the inspection process must always remain independent from the real estate transaction.
Just because your home is new, has occupancy, and passed city code inspections, do you think that it is safe to live in? For many, the common-sense answer would be yes. But, here’s a great example of why you should have your home inspected. I came across this safety issue in a townhouse that was only 5 years old.
It’s amazing how many times I have come across fresh air intake problems. Fresh air intake issues can lead to producing dangerous carbon monoxide, as well as poor efficiency and damage to gas burning appliances. This concern is particularly alarming, as I am fairly certain that every furnace room in the townhouse complex may be installed the same way.
The concern here is that the contractor installed the wrong type of vent cover – one that has a flapper which doesn’t allow fresh air to enter the furnace room. This is a significant safety concern – but it can be easily fixed by removing the flapper or changing the vent cover. My client was notified of this concern. It was recommended to contact the strata to have this issue potentially resolved throughout the townhouse complex.